- Oil (vegetable or canola)
- Use a dull table knife or butter knife to cut the plantains skin.
- Cut off each end of the plantain, just below the stem and just above the bottom of the plantain.
- Find the a ridge running length wise on the plantain.
- Insert the knife under the ridge and cut length wise along the plantain.
- Find another ridge and cut length wise along that ridge too.
- Peel the skin from the plantain. Repeat until the skin is removed
- Heat oil about 1 inch deep in a skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Slice plantains in equally even slices.
- Place in hot oil and cook on one side for about a minute watching carefully for a slight change in color.
- Flip the plantain slices with a fork or heat resistant turner.
- Fry on the back side. Remove from the hot oil.
- Use a Plantain Press or Tostonera to smash the plantains. I used a mug because I did not have one of these cool tools yet.
- Put back into the oil and fry for another minute.
- Remove from oil and salt.
- Serve as a side dish.
- Dip in guacamole or salsa.