How to Make Spaghetti Squash
One of my favorite types of squash is spaghetti squash. With this recipe it doesn’t get mushy like some kinds of squash and you can prepare it super quick. Making spaghetti squash in the oven can take an hour but it only takes 6 minutes in the microwave. Many times I find myself cooking up a spaghetti squash just before we are ready to sit down at the table for dinner. It is that easy!
The hardest part about preparing spaghetti squash is cutting it in half. It has a tough outer skin. Here are some ideas for cutting it open.
Tips on How to Cut a Spaghetti Squash:
- Place the squash on a towel over your cutting board to keep it from rolling. Score the top with a smaller knife before using a big knife to cut it. You may need to slam the squash down on your counter to push the knife through. 🙂
- Microwave it for 5 minutes to soften the outer skin before cutting. Be careful not to over do it because it can explode in your microwave when cooked whole for too long.
- Cut off the stem and and place that end on the cutting board face down before cutting to give you a nice flat surface.
- Use and electric carving knife. It might be nice to score the outside first with this one as well.
- Ask your husband to do it and let him read these tips so he does not cut himself. 🙂
I always ask my husband to cut my spaghetti squash and he has never had an accident. I however have managed to get the knife stuck in the squash before. I had quite a few laughs reading forums on cutting spaghetti squash finding that people had to bake the squash with the knife stuck inside, some had the microwave bust open when the squash exploded whole, others almost stabbed themselves cutting it. If you follow the tips I have provided it should be quite manageable. I hope I have not scared you off from trying it because spaghetti squash is super yummy.
I then cover the squash with plastic wrap and microwave for 8 minute for both halves or 6 minutes for 1 half. Plastic wrap will puff up while cooking and then suck down as it cools. It is best to put the squash on a plate before microwaving it. It will be very hot when you go to remove it from the microwave.
- This is a 4 star rated electric knife on amazon
- Electric knives are great for cutting not only spaghetti squash, but also roasts, hams, turkeys and bread.
More great squash recipes:
Do you have any other great recipes for spaghetti squash?
We planted spaghetti squash in our garden this year and we have a ton of it now. My family need some more good ideas for making it. Feel free to share your ideas and recipes in the comments below. Thank you!
How to Make Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Cut squash in half length wise. See blog post for tips.
- Remove seeds with a spoon.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on a place for 6 minutes for half and 8 minutes for both halves.
- Let cool slightly. Serve.