- 1 package Red Velvet cake mix, or any cake mix (except angel food), or your favorite 9x13 cake recipe
- 1 8-inch round cake pan
- 1 8-inch square cake pan
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want to keep your frosting more white)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven according to the cake mix package instructions. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the inside-bottom of a square 8-inch pan and also for a round 8-inch cake pan. Spray the center of each pan with cooking spray and place the parchment inside the pans. The spray helps keep the parchment in place. Then spray each pan with a nonstick cooking spray with flour, like Baker's Joy. Alternately, you can butter and flour each pan.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package instructions. Divide batter evenly between the two prepared 8-inch pans. Bake as directed on package. Cool 10 minutes in pans, then carefully remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare the frosting with a food processor or mixer. Beat the cream cheese, butter, sour cream, vanilla, and salt together until well combined. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Add powdered sugar and mix until very fluffy.
- Leave the square cake whole, but cut the round cake in half. With the square cake oriented as a diamond, place the flat side of each half-round against each of the top sides of the square cake to make a heart shape. Trim slightly, if needed. The frosting will conceal the seams and more.
- Spread a thin skim coat layer of frosting over the entire cake (to keep cake crumbs from appearing in the final layer of frosting). Then spread a second and final layer of frosting. Decorate as desired.
See blog post for helpful photos.