- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup low sugar ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon green pepper, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 hamburger buns
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Brown 1 pound ground beef, drain the fat. Add the sauce to the meat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with toasted hamburger buns.
Preparing For the Freezer:
- Store the sloppy joe filling in a gallon-size resealable freezer bag, or portion into smaller bags according to your needs. Label and date the bags, remove as much air as possible, and freeze flat. The buns may also be frozen.
Prepare after Freezing:
- Remove from freezer and thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or place frozen sloppy joe mixture directly into pan. Heat gradually in a saucepan or skillet until warmed through and serve.
Make this extra healthy by adding some cooked quinoa and skip the buns. Serve it over cooked carrots or squash instead!