- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 1/8 cup cold water (optional)
- Whisk together all ingredients (except the corn starch in water) in a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until sugar has dissolved.
- For a thicker sauce, add the corn starch and water mixture. Then simmer for up to 15 minutes, until desired thickness is reached. Keep in mind that it may thicken slightly more as it cools.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator.
Once cooled, you may portion and freeze the sauce. Then thaw in the fridge and use as needed.