Homemade Baked Oatmeal
Homemade baked oatmeal is amazing…almost dessert-cobbler-like and uses lots of staple ingredients you probably already have in the house.
It is especially delicious with berries! Whether you gather them from your own backyard or you pick them up at your local fruit stand or buy them from the grocery store. Where I live, I am able to pick up a 1/2 flat or two at my farmers’ market each week (the vendors always give me a great deal at the end if they have berries left over). Oh how I love when berries are in season! Look at these bad boys!
And since I have a ton of homemade jam already, I figured it was time to try something different. And that’s when I remembered my homemade baked oatmeal recipe, knew I needed to make it for the fam, and knew I wanted to share it all with you.
I have made this recipe with all sorts of berries (including those pictured above) and also with frozen fruit! The strawberry baked oatmeal in the photos is actually made with frozen strawberries and it turned out wonderfully! (Photos updated August 2016.)
The frozen strawberries were surprisingly easy to chop and make it super easy and affordable to have delicious baked oatmeal any time of year, whether the fruit is in season or not.
Oh so good, and plenty of protein and good stuff in there to keep your belly full until snack time or the next meal. Great quality to have in those back-to-school breakfasts! The leftovers are still pretty delicious too. Whip up a pan of baked oatmeal and eat it throughout the week!
Interested in more breakfast recipes?! We’ve shared lots of awesome ones! See more breakfast recipes here.
Would you like to see even more of our recipes?
Subscribe to our weekly recipe email.
Homemade Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups uncooked old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries or fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the oats, brown sugar, and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, applesauce, butter, and egg. Beat well. Add your berries or fruit and stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Pour into a sprayed casserole dish, similar in size to 8x8, 9x9, or 8x11 baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm with milk or cream.