- For Pancake Mix
- 3-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 cups whole wheat white flour
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milled flax seed
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- For Finished Cooked Pancakes
- 1/2 cup plain soymilk, milk, or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, (I like Greek yogurt)
- 1 large egg
- To make the mix:
- Grind oats in a food processor until they're chopped fine but not ground into a powder.
- Add the oats, flours, milled flax seed, sugar, baking powder, salt, and soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix on low speed until combined, slowly adding 1 tablespoon of oil into mix at a time.
- Continue mixing until oil is well incorporated into the mix.
- Store mix in an airtight container in the freezer indefinitely.
- To make the pancakes:
- Whisk one cup of pancake mix with milk, yogurt, and egg.
- Let stand 15 minutes to thicken.
- Heat a nonstick griddle over medium heat.
- Using a 1/4 cup, pour batter onto griddle.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
Makes about 8 (3-1/2-inch) pancakes per batch.
For GF pancake mix, I have had very good success with King Arthur Gluten Free Flour mixed with oats and milled flax seed.
Recipe source: adapted from King Arthur Flour