- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used half unsweetened applesauce, half oil)
- strawberry or raspberry fruit preserves
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray or grease muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With two knives or pastry blender, cut in peanut butter until coarse crumbs form. Add milk, honey, carrot, zucchini, eggs, and oil. Stir until moistened.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into each muffin cup. Top each with about 1 teaspoon fruit preserves. Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a few minutes then turn out onto cooling rack.