- 2/3 cup mild honey (such as clover or orange blossom)
- 1/3 natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum-free is recommended)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish or pan with olive oil.
- Measure the honey into a large glass measuring cup (at least 2-cup-size). Microwave on high until the honey is runny and just bubbling, about 1 minute. Add the cocoa and stir with a fork until well combined. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla. Add the honey-cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until no traces of flour remain. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the surface looks dry around the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Do not over bake. Place the pan on a cooling rack and let cool before slicing in squares. Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.