- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 12 medium carrots, about 1 inch wide at stem and 6-8 inches long
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Fill a large pot with water up to a few inches from the top. Add 2 teaspoons of the salt to the water and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Trim off the green stems and leaves of the carrots an inch or so above the end of each carrot, if needed. Peel the carrots. Add them to the boiling water and cook until tender but still crisp, 4-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a bowl with ice water. Remove the carrots from the pot and quickly plunge them into the ice bath. Then remove the carrots from the ice bath and drain. At this point, you could set the carrots aside for several hours, if desired.
- When you are ready to grill, heat the grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, honey, orange zest, vinegar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add the carrots to the bowl and toss to coat. Remove carrots from the bowl. Set bowl aside.
- Grill carrots over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until lightly caramelized, 4-6 minutes, turning occasionally. Place carrots back into bowl with the remaining butter mixture. Toss to coat. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.