- 1 pound pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Add the chopped dates, granulated sugar, and water to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, softened butter, oats, flour, baking soda, and salt (I usually use a pastry cutter).
- Spread 1/2 of the crumble mixture evenly in a 10 x 15 pan (jelly roll pan) and press it into the pan. Gently spoon the date filling over the crust. Firmly press the remainder of the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool, then cut into 24 squares.