Garlic Mushroom Chowder
I admit it. I’m not a huge fan of veggies. And my family doesn’t often go for the meatless meals, but this one is out of this world amazing! The richness of the mushrooms and cream, plus the fresh, crisp veggies are an amazing combination, but add the savory garlic, and the melt in your mouth Parmesan cheese, and it’s over the top good!
When my Mother-in-Law made this a couple of weeks ago, I feel in love. It’s creamy, rich, and after one slight adjustment to the original, it’s just about perfect! The first one was fantastic, but since onions give me migraines, I swapped them out for garlic, and it just made this soup soar. If you want to add onions, it’ll probably add a lot of flavor. The original recipe called for 1 cup of onions.
Start by melting the butter in a large stock pot. Add minced or pressed garlic and saute. Make sure to stir it constantly, because the garlic will burn easily. If you are a fan of garlic, you can add up to a whole bulb. It’s amazing, and so flavorful. After the garlic is sauteed, remove the pot from teh burner and add flour, salt and pepper. Stir quickly until it becomes smooth.
Return the pot to the burner, and add the water slowly, stirring constantly. Bring it to a boil, and cook for 1 minute. Continue stirring constantly. Then add the veggies, stir to coat the vegetables for about 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat, add the lid and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Don’t overcook, because you want the carrots and celery to stay crisp, and the potatoes to be firm, not mushy.
Add cream and cheese and heat through, but don’t bring to a boil. Remove from heat, serve and enjoy! We love this with potato rolls, or fresh baked bread.
Garlic Mushroom Chowder
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1/2 to 1 bulb Garlic
- 4 TBSP flour
- 2 TSP salt
- 1 TSP pepper
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Cups chopped celery
- 2 Cup diced white potatoes
- 1 Cup chopped carrots
- 2 Cups Cream (1 pint)
- 1.5 Cups Parmesan cheese
- 1 Cup Onions (optional)
- In a large kettle, saute garlic (and onions if you choose), for 2-3 minutes (or until onions are tender).
- Remove from heat, add flour salt and pepper and stir constantly until smooth
- Return to heat, and gradually add water, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil while stirring and cook for one minute.
- Add mushrooms, celery, potatoes, and carrots.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cream and cheese, and heat through. Be careful not to let boil.
- Remove from heat and serve.