- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cubed bread (about 1 1/2 slices hearty bread cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- Topping ideas: maple syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream, chopped berries, sliced bananas, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, fruit preserves
- Place butter in mug, ramekin, or other microwave-safe small bowl and microwave until butter is melted, 15-20 seconds. Add the milk, syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and egg and use a fork to whisk until mixture is combined.
- Add cubed bread pieces and gently fold them into the mixture without breaking them apart, until each piece is no longer dry. Let sit for about 1 minute, to allow bread to soak up the mixture.
- Microwave for 1 minute. If there is still liquid, microwave for another 10-30 seconds, depending on your microwave, until the mixture is solid. (1 minute and 20 seconds works well for me.) Careful, mug may be hot!
- Serve warm and add toppings, if desired.