- 4 oz bulk breakfast sausage, broken into 1/2-inch pieces
- 24 Ritz crackers, coarsely crushed
- 10 eggs
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 4 oz (1 cup) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 450. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin (baking spray with flour is recommended).
- Microwave sausage in uncovered bowl until fat begins to render, about 1 minute. Drain the fat. In a separate bowl, whisk crackers, eggs, half and half together until combined. Stir in cheese, scallions, and drained sausage.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake until the tops are set and lightly golden, 8-10 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool slightly, then loosen and remove the muffins from tin. Serve plain, with ketchup, or salsa.
- ...with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Boursin, and Basil - Sub 3 Tbsp chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, patted dry, for sausage; do not microwave tomatos. Substitute Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs cheese (5.2 oz), crumbled, for cheddar, and 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil for scallions.
- ...with Kielbasa, Pepper Jack, and Scallions - Sub 4 oz kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/3-inch pieces, for breakfast sausage; microwave as directed. Sub 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese for cheddar.
Preparing For the Freezer:
- Let the muffins cool. Put them in a resealable freezer bag, remove as much air as possible, and freeze!
Prepare after Freezing:
- Place 1 - 4 on a plate and microwave on medium-high (70%) power for 1 1/2 - 4 minutes (depending on how many) or until hot. For larger amounts, preheat oven to 325. Place muffins on baking sheet and reheat in the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes, until heated through. Keep an eye on them so they don't overcook.