- 2 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled, divided
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 (6 ounce) package any red Jell-O
- 1 cup cold water
- ice cubes
- 1 loaf pound cake or angel food cake
- 1 1/3 cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping, thawed
- Slice about 1 cup of the strawberries. Halve the remaining 3 cups of strawberries and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir boiling water into dry Jell-O mix for at least 2 minutes, until completely dissolved.
- To the 1 cup of cold water, add enough ice cubes to measure 2 cups. Stir cold water and ice into the Jell-O and stir until ice is melted. Refrigerate for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites).
- Meanwhile, cut the cake loaf into 10 equal slices and line the bottom of a 9x13 pan with the slices.
- Add sliced strawberries and 1 cup of blueberries to the thickened Jell-O; stir gently. Spoon the Jell-O mixture over the cake slices, trying to distribute the mixture evenly. Refrigerate 4 hours, until firm.
- Spread the whipped topping over the Jell-O cake. Arrange strawberry halves on top to make the stripes of the flag. Use the remaining 1/3 cup blueberries to the square of stars for the flag.
- Keep chilled until serving.