- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked ham, 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Add pepper, onion, and garlic and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add ham, basil and oregano and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, lemon juice, and pasta. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for about 8 minutes, then uncover and cook for about another 10 minutes, until pasta is tender and liquid reduced.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Sprinkle parsley and remaining Parmesan cheese over the top of the pasta. Serve immediately.