- 1 3/4 cups (8.75 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (7.5 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (2.5 ounces) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare muffin pan with liners or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full. If desired, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until tops spring back lightly to the touch or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean (unless you hit a chocolate chip!). Let sit in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
See blog post for buttermilk substitutions, if needed.