Creamy White Chili Recipe
We love this creamy white chili with a bit of shredded cheese on top. Make it quickly on the stove top or let it cook in the slow cooker. Either way it is pretty easy!
On a side note, I planned to bring this creamy White Chili to a Halloween party, but decided I should double the recipe at the last moment. So, out I went on Halloween Day to buy 2 more cans of Great Northern beans. I had everything else I needed, so more beans should be no big deal, right?
Two grocery stores later, I discovered that canned beans are in high demand on Halloween. Both stores were completely sold out of Great Northern and a few other types of canned beans! I didn’t have time to go to any more stores, so it was fortunate that I found a neighbor with a few cans of small white beans to spare. (Thanks, Jessica!)
Moral of the story? Don’t try to buy canned beans on Halloween. And you can sub other white beans in a pinch.
If you want your chili to be more spicy, add another can of chilies and increase the cayenne pepper.
Recipe slightly adapted from MelsKitchenCafe.
More Chili Recipes:
Creamy White Chili Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Cube the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. In a Dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute chicken, onion, and garlic in the oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream.
or Slow Cooker:
- Place chicken breasts (not frozen) in a medium-size slow cooker. Add the chopped onion, garlic powder, beans, green chilies and all of the spices. (Do not add the sour cream or whipping cream yet!) Reduce the chicken broth to 12 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) and pour over other ingredients. Stir to incorporate the dry spices. Cook on low for 5-7 hours. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred into bite-size pieces. Add shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the sour cream and whipping cream until smooth. Whisk the cream mixture into the slow cooker with the other ingredients. Let the soup cook until heated through.
- Serve with shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, and/or tortilla chips!