2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
2 cups warm buttermilk (110 to 115 degrees F)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
6 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon hot water
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add the buttermilk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt and baking soda; mix well. Stir in flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle; brush with butter.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.
- Fold in half lengthwise, forming a 16-in. x 4-1/2-in. rectangles; pinch edges to seal. Cut into 4-1/2-in. x 1-in. strips; twist each strip two or three times.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spoon over warm twists.