- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or unsweetened apple sauce)
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups shredded zucchini (about one 10-inch zucchini)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Chocolate Ganache Topping:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped chocolate (semi-sweet or milk)
- Lightly coat a 9″ x 13″ pan with baking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the sour cream, yogurt or buttermilk alternately with the flour, starting and ending with the flour.
- Stir in the cocoa mixing until smooth.
- Finally, fold in the zucchini and 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out evenly with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting Instructions:
- Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Stir constantly to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat and pour over the chopped chocolate chips.
- Wait 3-5 minutes then stir to combine until smooth.
- Ganache thickens as it cools.
- While warm pour over cake and smooth with spatula.
- Allow frosting to set for about 30 minutes before serving.