Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion peeled, diced
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 2 large chicken breast halves each cut in half
- 4 cups water divided
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock or fat-free, less-sodium broth or more as needed
- 28 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder or more to taste
- 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons favorite all purpose seasoning
- 1 ½ cups cooked Spanish-style rice
- Salt to taste
- Baked tortilla strips see note
- Shredded Mexican-style cheese optional
- Diced avocado optional
- In a large stock pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken breast pieces and 2 cups water. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and poach the chicken about 15 minutes or until cooked and tender.
- Remove the chicken (leave remaining ingredients in pot) and use two forks to shred the chicken. Return shredded chicken to the pot. Add the remaining 2 cups water, chicken stock, tomatoes, green chilies, chipotle in adobo sauce, chili powder and all-purpose seasoning. Simmer the soup about 45 minutes, uncovered. Taste and season with salt to taste. Stir in the cooked rice and simmer about 10 minutes more.
- Serve the soup topped with baked tortilla strips and, if desired, shredded cheese and avocado.