This comes from a collection of “make a mix” recipes that I have. The meat sauce mix will make a lot. I freeze the extra in portions sizes that my family will use. Then, use it as filling in other dishes like tacos, enchiladas, chalupas and burritos. I love that it is easy, versatile, and it cuts down on my prep time for other meals!!!
Meat Sauce Mix:
5lbs beef roast, pork roast or combo of the two
3 Tbls vegetable shortening
1 onion chopped
1 4oz can green chilies
2 (7oz) cans green chili salsa
1/4 tsp garlic powder
4 Tblsp flour
3 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
Juices from roasts
- Roast meat in crockpot for about 12 hours, until meat shreds easily with a fork. Reserve juices. Set Aside.
- Add onions and green chilies. Saute 1 minute.
- Add green chili salsa, garlic powder, flour, salt and cumin.
- Cook 5 minutes until thick.
- Stir in shredded meat and juices.
- Put about 3 cups meat sauce into freezer containers. Freeze. Makes about 9 cups. Can be used as filling in other dishes as well ie. tacos,enchiladas, burritos and chalupas.
6 flour tortillas
3 cups Meat Mix (from above)
Vegetable oil for frying
- Heat 1/2 inch deep oil to 400 degrees F.
- Spread about 1/2 cup Meat Mix over the lower third of each tortilla (helps if the tortillas are slightly warm).
- Fold into burrito shapes, tucking in edges, and rolling into a cylinder.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Fry in hot oil about 2 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy. For a lower fat version brush with oil and bake at 400 degrees until gold and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream and guacamole.