- 4 chicken breast, boneless and skinless,
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup enchilada sauce, (I used hot green enchilada sauce)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 corn tortillas, divided
- 2 cups medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes
- In a microwave safe bowl, cook diced onion on high power for 5 minutes. While it's cooking, pour chicken broth into a stockpot or dutch oven. Add chicken breast, minced garlic, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, salt, chili powder, cumin, and cooked onion to the stock. Cover and simmer till chicken is cooked, about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken breast and cut it into bite size pieces or shred. Add back to the soup. Add chicken and 10 chopped tortillas, (more if you like thicker soup) and simmer for an additional 30 to 45 minutes until soup thickens.
- While soup is simmering, slice remaining 6 tortillas into strips and bake at 325 degrees until they are crisp, 15 to 20 minutes, approximately.
- Garnish soup with generous amounts of cheddar cheese, tortilla strips, chopped cilantro, and fresh lime wedges, if desired.
- Serves 6 to 8.