- 9 cups fresh broccoli florets (or about 3 heads broccoli)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup salted cashews, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Trim and cut the broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces. Place a steamer basket on the bottom of a large pot. Then add the broccoli florets and about an inch of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook for about 7 minutes, or until tender but still crisp.
- While the broccoli is steaming, melt the butter in a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, and garlic. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Mix in the cashews, if desired.
- Pour the garlic butter sauce over the broccoli and serve immediately.