- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken or turkey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup (I use homemade cream of chicken)
- 2 to 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped bite-size
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds, until garlic is aromatic.
- Stir in the uncooked rice, cream of chicken, and 2 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is fully cooked, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add more chicken broth, if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the broccoli florets, 1/2 cup of cheese, and cooked chicken or turkey. Cook for about 2 minutes, until broccoli begins to soften. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top. If desired, place skillet under broiler for a few minutes, just until cheese is melted and starts to brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
If you would like to use raw chicken, cut the chicken into bite-size pieces, season with salt and pepper, and add the chicken to the skillet at the beginning with the onion.