- 1 package of 12 drum sticks or 1 whole chicken broken into 10 pieces
- 2 scallions, chopped into fourths
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, smashed
- 2 TBSP salt
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- water, until it covers all the meat in the pot
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP honey
- 3 TBSP brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 1-inch piece of garlic, sliced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Mix brine ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Cover the chicken with the brine and cover with plastic wrap or use a ziploc.
- Refrigerate for up to 1 hour (but not longer).
- Heat up a grill to 350 degrees.
- Drain the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season it lightly with salt and pepper then place the chicken on hot grill.
- Brown the chicken on both sides — about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Then lower the heat and continue to cook the chicken through for about 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add sauce ingredients.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until flavors come together and sauce is slightly thicker.
- Baste the chicken with a pastry brush and continue cooking chicken on grill for another 5-7 minutes.
- Baste again when done and serve extra sauce on the side.