- 1 pound ground meat (beef or turkey work best)
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's or this BBQ sauce recipe)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine all meatball ingredients. Form into balls and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until cooked through. Internal temperature should be 160 degrees F. If preparing meatballs for later, let cool, then freeze. Once frozen, transfer meatballs to a freezer bag and store in freezer.
- Combine sauce ingredients.
- Add meatballs and cooked bacon pieces to a slow cooker. Cover with sauce and warm for a party. If meatballs are frozen, plan on about 4 hours in the slow cooker, stirring occasionally. Or heat the sauce in a small saucepan on the stove top and serve immediately with the freshly-baked warm meatballs.
If you are pressed for time you can buy the homemade Italian Style Meatballs from Costco, about 28 ounces.