- 6 quarts blanched, sliced fresh apples
- 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Ultra Gel
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 5 cups apple juice
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 3/4 cup bottled lemon juice
- 7 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Clean the jars, rings, and lids.
- Set aside.
- Wash, peel, and core apples.
- Cut into slices about 1/2-inch wide.
- Place slices in cold water with ascorbic acid to prevent browning.
- Place 6 cups at a time of fresh sliced apples in about 1 gallon of boiling water.
- Boil for 1 minute after the water returns to a boil.
- Keep warm apple slices in a covered bowl or pot.
- Repeat for remaining apples.
- Combine sugar, Ultra Gel, cinnamon, nutmeg, apple juice, and water in a large pot.
- If desired, food coloring may also be added.
- Stir and cook on medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- Add lemon juice and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Fold in drained apple slices and immediately fill jars, leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Fit jars with lids and hand-tighten the ring bands.
- Cover jars with at least 1 inch of boiling water in canner and process for recommended time according to altitude: 0-1000 ft - 25 min, 1001-3000 ft - 30 min, 3001-6000 ft - 35 min, above 6000 ft - 40 min.
- Turn off heat.
- Remove jars carefully and place them onto a towel or cooling rack.
- Let the jars sit undisturbed while they cool, 12 to 24 hours.
- Remove ring bands from sealed jars. Label and store in a cool, dry, dark place.
- Use within a year.
To Freeze: Let apple mixture cool. Spoon mixture into large resealable freezer bags, seal removing as much air as possible, and freeze. About 4 cups of apple mixture will fill one standard size pie.