- 2 pounds chicken breast (approx. 2 breasts)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (see our delicious homemade barbecue sauce)
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 flour burrito tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- Place chicken breasts with water or chicken broth in crockpot on low for 5-6 hours (or instant pot for 15 minutes with 10 minutes slow release). For stove top, place chicken breasts in skillet and fill with broth or water until chicken is halfway covered. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, turn off heat, let sit covered for 15 minutes. Internal temperature of cooked chicken is 165° F.
- Remove chicken from liquid, and shred
- Return chicken to the slow cooker, Instant Pot, or transfer to a large bowl, and mix with BBQ sauce and a little of the remaining liquid to keep the mixture moist.
- While chicken is still warm, stir in frozen corn and black beans.
- Spread a spoonful of sour cream in the middle of each tortilla.
- Spoon on chicken filling.
- Sprinkle desired amount of cheese and cilantro into the burrito, and squeeze a small amount of lime juice over the mixture.
- Fold shell into 3rds
- If desired, cook in a dry frying pan and press with spatula until golden brown.
Air Fry Instructions:
- Roll into thirds and lightly mist with oil. Air fry at 350˚F/176˚C for 5 minutes or until it reaches desired crispiness, flipping halfway.
3 Ways to Prepare for Freezer:
- Place raw chicken, corn, black beans, and BBQ sauce into a gallon sized freezer bag. Shape to fit slow cooker or instant pot, freeze. OR...
- Cook chicken mixture as directed, cool slightly and place in a freezer bag (or smaller bags if portioning) and freeze. OR...
- Place assembled burritos, seam-side down on a baking sheet and freeze for about 30 minutes. Then wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap or foil. Place wrapped burritos in a resealable bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Prepare after freezing:
- For raw chicken mixture, cook in instant pot (from frozen) with an extra cup of chicken broth, and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes (or 20 if thawed)
- For cooked chicken mixture, cook in an instant pot (from frozen) with an extra cup of chicken broth for 15 minutes.
- For Burritos:
- Microwave - Remove wrapping from burrito. Poke holes in the top several times with a fork. Microwave for about 2 minutes. Gently poke a few more holes, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top, then microwave for 1 more minute. For a crispy outside, broil the burritos briefly.
- Oven - Thaw. Wrap burritos in foil and warm in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, then broil until cheese is melted and starting to brown. (You can heat from frozen, but it will take longer.)
To make this recipe even faster, use your instant pot and cook your chicken in water or broth for about 35 minutes (if frozen) or 15 minutes (if thawed). Then shred your chicken and stir in the BBQ sauce, black beans, and corn and BOOM you've got your mixture, all ready for tortillas!