Money Saving Health Tips for 2017!
We partnered with SearchRx to bring you these money-saving health tips!
With the recent holiday season and New Year’s Eve right around the corner we have all been facing the temptation of overindulging. While the holiday season is a time for us to embrace the spirit of the season, we don’t want to embrace all of the germs and illnesses that get passed around during the festivities. Plus, with health insurance rising an average of 22% in 2017, who has the money for that? When it comes to saving our health and wallet, these are some of our favorite yearly tips:
Boost your immune system with fresh produce and plenty of water.
- Buy local, and buy seasonal. Not only will the veggies and fruits you buy this way be fresher and taste better, but they’ll also be cheaper and more likely to be organic. Farmers’ markets are a great way to support local businesses while choosing the best from each season’s harvest.
- Cook at home. Keeping a well-stocked fridge (and freezer) makes it a snap to prepare a healthy home cooked meal. Eating at home is a great way to cut down on extra fat, salt, and sugar, and you’ll save money to boot! Keep some freezer meals on hand too! It’s hard not to overeat during the holidays, but we try to give our bodies a break by spacing out our feasts with simple meals at home. Intermittent fasting before or after a big day of festivities is another healthy way to detox.
- Getting cashback on groceries. There are a bunch of money saving apps out there that help us save a few bucks every time we go to the grocery store. For deals on fruits, veggies and household goods, we’ve used Ibotta to score tons of cashback rewards.
Because the best offense is a good defense:
- Fend off illness year-round by nurturing your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs. When overindulging on holiday treats, and more, it’s doubly important to remember to hydrate and take in essential nutrients. Adding a multi-vitamin is an inexpensive and simple step that can go a long way towards better overall health. (P.S. I have a favorite vitamin supplement pack and I also recommend using certain essential oils to stay healthier! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.)
- Keep your desk and keyboard clean. At any time, there are a number of people in any office that are sick or just recovering. When you’re spending 8+ hours a day in an environment chock full of other peoples’ bacteria, it’s wise to keep as hygienic a work space as possible. Have some disinfectant wipes handy to sanitize your laptop and keyboard. After all, the average desktop has 400x more bacteria than the average toilet seat.
- When signing up for a new healthcare plan in 2017, remember to choose carefully between premium and coverage options. If you’re single and healthy you may be able to trade off higher benefits and coverage for a lower monthly premium. On the other hand, if you need more frequent doctor visits or checkups, you should avoid high deductible plans that seem cheap by month but add up quickly with high out of pocket costs.
When You’re Sick
Despite your best efforts, sometimes you just get sick. Abide by these cost cutting tips for when you’re feeling less than your best.
- Use in-network vs out-of-network. Insurance plans may cover less or not cover visits to out-of-network physicians. Based on your healthcare provider you should be able to view a list of all in-network doctors through their website. This can save you over 50% of any services and in many cases even more.
- If you do find yourself in need of a doctor’s visit, avoid urgent care and the ER unless it’s a true emergency. Their services cost a premium and are often not covered by many plans— a huge medical bill is definitely not how you want to start the new year.
- Compare prescription prices and use drug coupons. We hope you don’t get sick enough to need a prescription, but if you absolutely must, remember to shop around. Different pharmacies often charge different prices for the same drug. There are great apps on the marketplace which allow you to compare prices and find additional coupons. For example, check out SearchRx which can get you up to 75% off your medication even if you don’t have insurance. For pricey brand name drugs, look for manufacturer rebates and patient assistance programs.
We wish you the best in the coming new year – stay safe, happy and healthy in 2017!
Join our fitness challenge!
Learn about our favorite natural detox.
Trending Blog Posts
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again