- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. For the shortbread crust, have your child use her fingertips to work the butter, flour, and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl until the mixture holds together. Transfer the dough to an ungreased 9- by 13-inch pan and press it into the pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- While the shortbread is baking, make the lemon filling. Wash and dry the lemons, then grate the rinds using the small holes on your grater (you will need 2 tablespoons of zest). Slice each lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup until you have 1/3 cup. Remove any seeds. (Tip: To grate a lemon, your child should hold the grater firmly with one hand and grip the lemon with the other, keeping the fingers as far away from the grater as possible.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Whisk in the flour. Stir in the lemon zest and juice. When the shortbread has baked, pour the filling over it and return the pan to the oven for another 20 to 25 minutes or until the filling no longer jiggles and the edges are lightly brown. (Test by inserting a knife in the middle.) Cool and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Makes 24 two-inch lemon squares. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Sorry, Current deals list is finished.