Fabulessly Frugal’s Spring Cleaning Guide Part 1
Hello Frugal Readers! Boy do we have a week full of fun for you! The sun is shining here and it is starting to feel a lot more like spring. Spring is a time of new life, sunshine, and a new start! As much as sometimes we hate to hear it, most likely our house needs a little picker-er-upper after the winter season. It calls for a good SPRING CLEANING! Well, lucky you, we are dedicating this entire week to share with you our best FRUGAL tips on how to make your spring cleaning faster, cheaper, and WAY more fun! We’ve asked a bunch of our readers to share their favorite tips and tricks with us and we can’t wait to share them all with you!
There are PLENTY of surprises coming this week! But here is a little sneak peek. Each day we will be sharing a few of our favorite DIY cleaner recipes, some of the best cleaning deals on Amazon currently, tips from myself (as well as our readers) on how to do your spring cleaning, and ways to declutter your life! I am so excited to share this with you all and get everyone excited to bring new life into your homes after the long winter!
Ways to Win Big this Week
We have two different ways that you can win a prize this week!
First off, head on over to our survey to share with us your favorite spring cleaning tip! If I quote you in the series, you will be entered to get a $20 Amazon Gift Card. I will announce the winner on Friday!
And the second one, we want to invite you all to ACTION! We would like you to get a start on your spring cleaning! You have ONE WEEK. The contest opens today! I would like you to take a picture of your home and show me the BEFORE and AFTER of your spring cleaning. Please send the pictures in an email to hello@fabulesslyfrugal dot com and the winner will be announced NEXT monday! You have from today until sunday night to get some cleaning done and send in your photos! The winner will be rewarded a $20 Amazon Gift Card as well!
So, Let’s Get Started!
To kick things off I would like to share 5 of my top favorite DIY Home Cleaner Recipes! All of these cleaners will do the same job as the store-bought BUT they will save you money! There is nothing to loose! Only money to save!
- 2 cups hair conditioner, pick a scent you like
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 6 cups hot water
- Essential Oils (if desired, my favorites are OnGuard or Purify – please use quality oils so nothing gets damaged or stained)
- 1 bar Fels-Naptha Soap (other options Ivory for sensitive skin or Pink Zote)
- 1/2 cup Borax
- 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda!)
- 5 gallon bucket and lid
- 2 cups Borax
- 2 cups Super Washing Soda
- 1 Cup Kosher salt
- 10 packages unsweetened lemonade (citric acid)
- A container to store it in
- 12 oz. Vinegar (heated)
- 10 oz. Blue Dawn
- one part Dawn dish-washing liquid soap (I usually use 1 tablespoon)
- two parts hydrogen peroxide (I usually use 2 tablespoons)
- 1-2 tablespoons baking soda (I usually use 1 tablespoon)
All of these cleaners are GREAT. I have tried them all and they are so cost-effective. Most of the supplies, you will already have in your home RIGHT NOW. If not, you can easily pick them up at the store or order them on Amazon! They are easy to make and easy to store. Try them out and comment below and let me know what your favorite one is!
Where to Start
I am sure that most of you are feeling a little overwhelmed just when you hear me say the words SPRING CLEANING, but no need to worry, I am here to help you have the BEST experience as you tackle each part of your house. Here is what one of our readers had to say about how they do spring cleaning:
I love these words of advice from one of our readers about doing one room at a time. You don’t need to completely overwhelm yourself. Just do one room a day! That way at the end of the day you feel accomplished and motivated to start again the next day.
Going off this advice, I decided to make a checklist so you can have a list of things to do in each room of your house. I have created the Fabulessly Fru-gal’s (or Fru-guy’s!) Checklist to help you all tackle each room at a time and do so without being overwhelmed. That way, you can pick a room, have an idea what to clean, and get started! Of course this checklist is very general and you’ll have to add a few things that are specific to your home and family, but this will help you see where to start and what to do!
The Fabulessly Fru-gal’s Spring Cleaning Checklist
Let’s start out with general things to do in EACH room of your house!
- Take down all curtains and wash them/dry clean them
- Move all the furniture to vacuum and mop underneath
- Wash all the windows (don’t forget to get out the window panes if you have them!)
- Dust tops of windows and door rims
- Wash all glassware
- Clean light fixtures
- Clean and polish the door handles
- Dust all the decorations/picture frames
- Clean light switches and the cover plates
- Shampoo carpets/wax hard floors
- Wash all the baseboard, doors, and walls
- Wash all the rugs
- Dust or vacuum out the air vents
- Dust ceiling fan blades
- Wash all the pillowcases/slip covers/throws
- Polish all surfaces
- Clean the oven, stove, microwave, and dishwasher
- Clean coffee maker, blender, toaster, and other appliances
- Empty out the fridge and wipe it all down
- Clean out your freezer! Chip off all that built up ice! I can cause a bad odor
- Wash pantry and cabinet shelves down (organize all the foods)
- Scrub the floor
- Wash down your trash can
- Sharpen your knives
- Deep clean the faucets
- Wipe out all drawers
- Clean laundry area
- Wipe down the outside of the washer and dryer
- Clean out all the lint
- Clean up all soap spills
- Freshen your front load washer if needed ( Check out our tutorial here!)
- Pull out washer and dryer to clean behind them
- Organize/Wipe down where you store your laundry supplies
- Deep clean the toilet (don’t forget around and behind it)
- Scrub the floor
- Clean out the cabinets (throw away all expired products)
- Replace all the toothbrushes!!
- Wash all your brushes (hair, makeup, toilet, cleaning)
- Deep clean the bathtub
- Deep clean the shower walls/shower door
- Clean the drains
- Wash all the holders/accessories (toothbrush holder, kleenex holder, etc)
- Wash all bedding
- Clean out under the beds
- Put away your winter clothes (this is a great time to declutter!)
- Bring out all your spring and summer clothes (wash what is needed)
- Go through your closet. Get rid of clothes, jewelry, shoes, etc. that you haven’t worn in the past year
- Clean out your drawers! Wipe each one out and reorganize the clothes
- Clean out your nightstand
- Dust all the pictures/tv/electronics/etc
- Clean windows
- Rotate the mattress
- Dust off coffee tables and end tables
- Dust off your entertainment center
- Organize movies/dvds
- Wash pillowcases, throws etc.
- vacuum the couch and pillows
- Dust computer & printer
- Organize file cabinet
- Organize your desk and drawers
- Stock up on printer ink, paper, etc
- Organize bookshelves
- Shred all your unneeded documents
- Clean out your email!
- Organize all your photos from the past year
- Clean out gutters
- Clean and organize your garage
- Power wash the side of your house
- Organize tool shed
- Spray for pests (or hire someone to do so)
- Clean out your car!
Here is just a list of things to do in each place of your home! Don’t feel overwhelmed, just start in one room and work from there. If you tackle one space at a time, you will have everything done before you know it.
I hope that this week will help motivate you to get started with your SPRING CLEANING! Don’t forget to fill out the survey to be entered to win a gift card and ALSO start your cleaning and remember to take your before and after pictures and send them into us at hello @fabulesslyfrugal dot com