20 Great Questions To Ask Kids After School
20 Questions to Ask Your Kids After School:
Communication is key with children. But sometimes it seems like we’re going through the motions and don’t really take the time to dig in and see what is happening in their world… beyond the daily surface level questions.
Going Beyond “How was your day?”
Parent: “How was your day?”
Parent: “What did you do today?”
If this sounds familiar, you’re not alone! Obvi they didn’t just do “nothing” at school all day. It is important to be involved, show that we care, ask questions and look for opportunities to teach whenever we can.
Making this extra effort also helps stay tuned in to any problems that need to be addressed such as questionable behavior or issues that may be arising between friends. Creating a strong connection and trust means that when things are rough and they really need advice, they’ll come to you.
If you aren’t connecting on a regular basis, or if your kids are not used to opening up to you, they will go to their friends when seeking advice. I’d prefer to have my kids turn to me for advice rather than friends who might have questionable opinions.
But we get busy and lazy and “How was your day?” and nothing more becomes the norm. This has been the case for us lately so I decided to come up with a list of new and specific questions to get the kids talking and hopefully spark some fun conversations!
20 Great Questions To Ask Kids After School:
- What was your favorite part of your day?
- Who did you play with at recess?
- Did you raise your hand in class today?
- Who did you sit next to at lunch? What did you eat?
- Did you learn something new today? Can you tell me about it so I can learn too?
- Were you able to finish all of your work today?
- Who is the friendliest person in your class?
- Did you make any new friends?
- Does anyone in your class need a time out? Why?
- What kinds of things do you have in your desk right now?
- Was there anything that made you sad today?
- Do you have any homework that I can help you with?
- What are you looking forward to at school tomorrow?
- Tell me about something kind you did for someone today. Did someone do something nice for you?
- What did you do in P.E./music/library today?
- Did you do anything you that you don’t enjoy today? Why don’t you like it?
- Who is someone at school that could use a friend?
- Is there anything you heard at school today that you don’t understand?
- What are you learning about in class tomorrow?
- Tell me something that made you laugh today?
Click here to get this list in a printable form to hang on your fridge for quick access!
It’s important to talk to your kids about school. Here’s why…
Kids learn, grow and develop differently and at different rates. Getting to know more about your child’s school day will not only make them feel important, but it will provide you as a parent with information that you may otherwise miss out on. It is so important to talk with your child each day so you never lose touch of who they are! As a parent, sometimes we can believe that everyone thinks like us! When your child makes a bad choice, we often say, “what were you thinking?!” The majority of the time they were actually thinking, but they didn’t think their choices all the way through.
By always communicating with your child, they will know that each day and night when they come home, they will have to talk to mom and/or dad…that will cross their minds before they make a not so great choice. Kids don’t want to let their parents down. The better your relationship is with your children, the more likely they will be to come to you in hard times or before tough decisions.
Specific conversations with kids may clue you in to any behavioral problems, possible developmental concerns or any social/academic issues that need your attention. It opens opportunities for you to connect and bond. I also love to help them identify opportunities for growth or new habits.
Do you have any other great questions for kids after school? I’d love to hear your ideas!
You might also like…
Cold Lunch Ideas
Trending Blog Posts
Report a Problem
Please select the problem you are facing with this deal:
- Price Increased
- Price Decreased
- No longer available
- Link doesn't work
Add more details:
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it.
Enter your email address if you would like to receive a follow up.
Please Try Again