Extreme Couponing is back tonight for episode #5.
Last week we saw Missy and Amy putting their couponing skills to the test. This week features Desirae & Stephanie tonight on TLC at 9:30 EST.
Are you tuning in to TLC’s Extreme Couponing this week?
I must admit this show gets on my nerves, but I watch it. My kids were watching with me last week. They were all so amazed at the final savings at the end of the transaction. They could not quit talking about how many carts of groceries the shoppers carted out of the store. How cool was that? Then came THE QUESTIONS, “Mom, why don’t you do that? You have lots of coupons, you use them all the time…why don’t you have shopping trips like that?”
I’m afraid I might have rolled my eyes as I took a deep breath and then began to explain. “Now kids, you know we save an obscene amount of money using coupons (I show them all the time). And you know that Mom works hard and spends a lot of time coupon shopping and saving, it doesn’t just “happen” in one trip.” I explained:
- You can’t believe everything you see on TV.
- Stores have rules for coupons and we follow the rules. Basically, the stores broke their own rules to look cool for the show.
- I told them that if another shopper were in line behind those “extreme” shoppers with the exact same items in their carts and the exact same coupons in their hands they would not have left the store with the same savings.
- Did you notice that both shoppers said they have NEVER had a shopping trip like that before? And they probably never will again unless they appear on that show.
- The show is like that so people will watch, be amazed and entertained; and we did watch, we were amazed and highly entertained!
- They only have 30 minutes to amaze us so they feel they need to take shortcuts to do it.
- And yes, we did continue having an in depth discussion about ethics, honesty, buying what you really will use, giving to others, and a lot of other values. So Fabulous, it turned into a teaching moment!
So, have you watched this show with your kids? What would you have said?
Let’s keep it real…
Extreme Couponing saves money,
but Extreme Couponing done right
doesn’t happen overnight!
Still haven’t watched Extreme Couponing and not sure what all the fuss is about? You can watch it on Amazon Demand! Catch up and watch Missy and Amy’s episode, Rebecca & Jessica‘s episode, J’amie & Tiffany‘s episode or Nathan & Tai and Tarin‘s episode for $1.99!