The Next Best Thing To Robert Redford
Jessica’s husband’s family introduced her to The Next Best Thing To Robert Redford. After that no holiday was complete without it. She was forever grateful… 😉 In 2012 Jessica introduced this recipe to the readers of Fabulessly Frugal and we found out that this amazing recipe has been known by many other names! Some of those names include The Next Best Thing to (Insert any actor/actresses name here), Better than Sex Dessert, Almost Better than Sex Dessert, Better than Anything Dessert and Chocolate Pie Squares. Some readers use a lemon pudding instead of vanilla and call it Aileen Torte or Lemon Lush.
My parents used to make this dessert all the time when we were growing up and they called it 4 Layer Dessert. We called it For Later Dessert because they always seemed to wait forever to let us have some. You can not beat the mixed flavors of cream cheese and chocolate. I am bringing Sexy back (insert Justin Timberlake song) today because I think this is an awesome dessert to help you get over those end of summer blues. Plus it would be a great dessert for a Labor Day weekend BBQ! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tub 7 oz. cool whip
- 1 pkg. 5.1 oz. vanilla instant pudding
- 1 pkg. 5.9 oz. chocolate instant pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 chocolate bar, grated (optional, but makes it look SOO pretty!)
Mix flour, softened butter, and pecans until crumbly and press into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Let cool.
2. Layers: Beat cream cheese sugar and half carton of cool whip. Spread over cooled crust. Combine vanilla and chocolate pudding with 3 cups cold milk until smooth or thickened. Spread over cream cheese layer. Spread remaining cool whip over the top and sprinkle with the grated Hershey bar. Enjoy!
Check out these cute food processors:
- 250-watt food processor with 3-cup plastic work bowl
- Chops and grinds with reversible stainless-steel blade
- Simple push-button control panel; durable, yet lightweight plastic body
- Dishwasher-safe bowl and lid for quick cleanup; spatula included