Safeway Just For U has gone mobile!
Safeway has launched their new e-coupon program, Just For U in the NW. Recently Fab FruGal Tara got the inside scoop for us and today I tested the mobile app on a shopping trip.
The program has three separate sections, the Coupon Center, Personalized Deals, and Club Specials.
The coupon center contained both store and manufacturer’s coupons.
The store’s in ad coupons are located as e-coupons. They are price point coupons and have an each at the end. These are stackable with manufacturer’s coupons. You need to load them to your card, it is not done automatically. This is done by clicking the red add to my card button.
This Gain coupon is a manufacturer’s coupon because it says Save. It is already added to my card, as evident by the little red one on the my card icon and that the red bar has changed to brown and says add to my list. (The add to my list is optional, once you see the number the coupon is loaded and ready to use). Manufacturer’s e-coupons can only be used once.
I just noticed these today. There are special price point (store) produce coupons that are NOT listed in the ad. I am going to start including these in the matchups.
Personalized Deals are just that, personalized. They are based on your last 6 months purchase history, which is refreshed every 30 days, so you will see items start or stop appearing based on what you are buying right now. These are price point (store) coupons and can be stacked with manufacturer’s coupons. New ones are added every Wednesday with the weekly ad. Some last a week and some last a month, most are unlimited in their usage, unless otherwise stated. You do have to load these to your card, by clicking the red bar.
This is one of my personalized deals, since I have already added it to my card, every time I purchase Oreos between now and 6/19/12 they will only $2.52.
Every week between 5,000-6,000 items are on sale, but only 300-500 make it into the ad. The only way to find these other items is by the yellow tags in store or on the Club Specials section. It is again arranged by your purchase history with items important to you at the top. The Club Special section is not available on the mobile app.
The my list option allows you to take your e-coupons and any other items you wish to type in and add them to a printable/emailable list or it can be sent to your phone. This list can be shared/synced with other phones, someone else shopping in the same store or someone updated the list from home.
Things to Remember
- Stacking: you can use any combination of a price point (store) and $ off (manufacturer’s) coupons. paper/paper, e-coupon/e-coupon, or paper/e-coupon.
- E-coupons do not double.
- Safeway will always offer you the “Best Deal”, meaning if your paper coupon beats the e-coupon or vice versa, you will get the better of the two. This also goes for Personalized Deals, if a sale offers a better price, you will get that sale price and if that item is on sale, but your Personal Deal is better, you will still get the Personal Deal price point.
- Remember to have your current phone number tied to your card. If you have changed numbers and someone else gets your new number, you might have access to the same personalized deals, so if you load them and they get to the store first, they can use them.
- Staff training has been extensive. They really are promoting this, there are signs everywhere, greeters offering to help at the door, and the cashiers explaining it to you. If you have any questions, ask in store, they are there to help.
- Please provide feedback to Safeway, they want this to be a customer driven program and are looking for your ideas and suggestions.
- If you are a home delivery customer, you can also load and use the e-coupons.
How did I do?
Honestly I haven’t been a fan of e-coupon programs in the past because it seems like there are higher value paper coupons, or they don’t come off when I need them too, etc.. I downloaded the mobile app just a couple of days ago and it is super user friendly. (Free for iPhone or Android users) I wanted to try out the load coupons in store option. As you can see by my phone time bar on the screen shots above, I loaded coupons from about 12:50-1:00. I checked out at 1:35 and all the coupons came off. I really liked being able to add coupons right there in the store, so convienent. Safeway’s receipts are easy to read and you can instant tell if you got the right price.
Buy 1 Gain $4.99
Buy 1 Heinz $1.49 (with e-coupon)
Buy 3 Peppers $2.64 ($0.88 each with e-coupon)
Buy 2 Oreos $5.04 ($2.52 each with Personalized Deal)
Buy 1 Bananas $1.25 ($0.49/lb with Personalized Deal)
Use $1/1 Gain e-coupon
Use $1/2 Nabisco Cookies
Use $0.25/1 Heinz Tomato Ketchup (SS 05/20/12)
Use Safeway Double $0.25
Final Price: $12.91
Total Saved: $11.64 or 47%, great for factoring in fresh produce
Remember to check your Just4U Coupons and load them to your card. Learn more about Just4U, personalized coupons based on what you buy most!