Protein bars are so expensive, but here’s a way to make your own for very little money. And they’re DELICIOUS.
(1) 1/2 C sugar and brown sugar blend
(2) 1/2 C applesauce
(3) 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
(4) 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
(5) 1/2 tsp. ground clove
(6) 1 tsp. baking powder
(7) 1 tsp. baking soda
(8) 1/2 tsp. salt
(9) 2 tsp. vanilla extract
(10) 4 large egg whites
(11) 1 -15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
(12) 2 C oat flour (grind up oats in a blender until they are a fine powder)
(13) 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder
(14) 1/2 c. milk (almond and soy milk work too)
(15) 1/2 C chopped nuts (preferably walnuts or pecans, but this is optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 X 13 glass dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
- Makes 24 squares.
I love taking these with me when I go out of the house for the day.
They work as a great snack to tie me over until my next meal.