My Grandma Dorothy is known to have either Date Bars or Magic Cookie Bars baked up for us grand kids. These Holiday Sprinkle Cookies are a festive version of the Magic Cookie Bars, or Sprinkle Cookies, that many of you are familiar with. I think it is a fun variation! Great, unique option for a Cookie Exchange.
Note: If making your own candied orange peel, I recommend doing it the day before you make these bar cookies. See how to make candied orange peel here.
Holiday Sprinkle Cookies
- 2 c graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 c butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest, finely shredded orange peel
- about 1 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- about 1 1/2 c dried cranberries or cherries
- 2 c white chocolate chips
- about 1/2 c diced candied orange peel (from about 2 oranges)
- about 1 1/2 c flaked coconut
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 350. Combine graham cracker crumbs, orange zest, and melted butter. Then spread the mixture evenly in a 13 x 18 in baking sheet. Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients evenly, one-by-one, on top of each other. Carefully pour the milk over all. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into bars.
Recipe adapted from BHG.com & my Grandma Dorothy