Although I rarely make apple pie from scratch because a) it’s not my favorite pie and b) it is so much work, this recipe makes it all worth it. The pie is so delicious, it makes the labor involved not seem so bad! I’ve tried a few different apple pie recipes over the years but I always come back to this one.
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.
Recipe credit: allrecipes!Pin It