Family Travel Tips
Family Travel Tips, Games, Books and More!
Whether you’re traveling for summer vacation, going camping, or visiting family, these tips will surely come in handy! We even have some great tips for a staycation. You can travel or have fun with your family on any budget!
10 Family Road Trip Tips:
- Be prepared. Have wet wipes, paper towels, trash bags, diapers (if needed), motion-sickness remedies, first aid kit and other possible needs within reach. See an awesome list for your emergency car kit.
- Pack snacks. Bring snacks and drinks from home instead of buying them on-the-go to save money and time. Consider making snack bags for each child for the day. Then they are responsible for their own snacks and can choose which snacks they want without bothering anyone else. Find coupons for your favorite snacks or make your own. Here are some ideas:
- Timing. Consider starting early or late at night when you know your kids will be sleeping. Try to time it out so it works as well as possible with the kids’ eating and sleeping schedules.
- The 50 mile game. Before your trip, head over to the dollar store and see what you can find. Crossword puzzles, decks of cards, frisbees, green army men, journal books, goofy eye glasses, stickers, disposable cameras, etc. Wrap the gifts in recycled wrapping paper (from Christmas gifts or newspapers) and for every 50 miles you are able to drive in peace and quiet, let each child pick something out of the treasure box.
- Pack games! Bring supplies for playing games (paper, pencils, etc) or other games that would travel well. There are some fun car games too. Charge any electronic games or devices the night before. If you have some down time at your destination, you can all play games together too!
- Let them run. Pull into a rest stop for a quick game of frisbee, a round of jump rope, a foot race, or to blow bubbles. A great time for a picnic meal too! This way everyone gets to stretch their legs and get some fresh air.
- Map for kids. Pack a Kids’ Road Atlas or printed map from home along with a colorful pen so they can follow along.
- Movies. If you have a DVD player don’t forget you can rent and return Redbox movies from anywhere. Or pack DVDs from home or download some digital content that you will be able to access.
- Toys & Books. Borrow some fresh toys from a friend or family for the car ride. Or find some new inexpensive toys for them to unwrap and play with. Bring durable and fun books too. It will be a nice break from watching movies! If you plan to bring a Kindle or other tablet, you can get ebooks here.
- Books on CD. Pack a stash of audiobooks on CD or in digital form for hours of family entertainment! You may be able to check out some from your library too.
Travel Games & Books:
- Rand McNally Are We There Yet?
- Best Travel Activity Book Ever!
- National Geographic Kids Ultimate Road Trip Atlas & Activities
- License Plates Across the States
- Melissa & Doug Travel Bingo
- Travel Scavenger Hunt for Kids Card Game
- Mad Libs on the Road
- Miles of Smiles: 101 Great Car Games
- Spot it! on the Road
- Take ‘N Play Anywhere Magnetic Tic-Tac-Toe
- Travel Tangoes
- Hangman Take ‘N Play Anywhere Game
- The Everything Kids’ Travel Activity Book
- Melissa & Doug Flip to Win Memory Game
Our Favorite Ways to Find Travel Deals:
See more ways to save on travel.
See Our Favorite Travel Apps.