FabuLESS Freezer Cooking: Crispy Southwest Wontons
If you haven’t checked out our Freezer Meal Cooking Series you must! It is a great way to save money on your grocery budget. We show you how to get a freezer meal cooking group together, how to do your shopping and how to organize your group on cooking day.
Here is another recipe that you can use in your freezer cooking! It is from one of my favorite, my favorite recipe blog Picky Palate!
I actually learned about Picky Palate from Cathy one summer when she was made some of Jenny’s fabulous browine recipes for a BBQ. Speaking of brownies you have to try my favorite ones The Carmel Filled Magic Brownies.
2 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
½ Cup finely diced white onions
½ Cup finely diced red bell pepper
2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 12 oz can chunk chicken, drained (from Costco)
¼ Cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
¼ Cup Verde Salsa (I use Herdez brand)
2 Tablespoons prepared ranch dressing
½ package wonton wrappers (I used the brand Nasoya, found in produce section of grocery store)
1 egg white whisked with 2 Tablespoons water
1. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic for 1 minute and remove from heat.
2. In large bowl add onion mixture, chicken, cilantro, salsa, ranch, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
3. Place 1 Tablespoon chicken mixture in center of wonton wrapper. Brush bottom edge with egg white wash, fold over filling and press edges together firmly, forming a triangle shape.
4. 2 options of cooking. 1st is place about 1 inch of canola or vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. When hot, place 4 wontons at a time into oil. Cook 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown. 2nd option is place wontons on a baking sheet; bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until crispy, flipping once half way through cooking.
5. Serve with Ranch dressing or salsa if desired.
TO FREEZE: Prepare as stated above. Place wontons in freezer bag and freeze.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING: Bake from frozen at 350 for 15 minutes.