A friend brought these over to our home and after having just one bite I was in heaven! It’s the perfect combination of crispy, sweet, and chewy with just a hint of salt. And chances are you have everything you need for this in your pantry!!
40 square (about 2×2″) saltine crackers
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter (not margarine!)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup mini-twist pretzels, broken into small pieces (my friend just used sticks)
1/3 cup chopped peanuts
1/3 cup Mini M&M’s (my friend used regular sized… Christmas colors would be super cute too!) – here is a coupon!
1/3 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange crackers side by side in single layer on large bar pan or jelly roll pan (make sure you use parchment paper or non-stick spray).
- Combine brown sugar, butter and vanilla in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a whisk, until mixture comes to a full boil across the surface. Boil, stirring constantly 4 minutes.
- Immediately pour sugar mixture over crackers and spread evenly with a spreader or rubber spatula. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Remove pan from oven to cooling rack.
- Immediately sprinkle baked crackers with chocolate morsels. Let stand 3 minutes, allowing morsels to soften, then spread evenly over surface. Sprinkle with pretzels, peanuts and mini M&M’s. Lightly press toppings into melted chocolate using back of a spatula. Let stand at room temperature to cool completely. Refrigerate 20 minutes to firm chocolate. Cut into squares (my friend just broke hers up).
- Makes about 40 squares. These are so good, you’d be wise to double this recipe – just use a full sized cookie sheet instead.
- Store in tightly covered container in a cool place at room temperature so they will stay crisp.