A child-friendly tablet can help kids learn about various subjects, improve motor skills, spark creativity, and keep the little guys entertained on road trips or while you cook dinner. If your child is a little too advanced for the LeapPad 2 and InnoTab 2, then you are probably looking at Android tablets or an iPad.
There are a lot of Android tablets available for kids right now. But a lot of the kid-friendly tablets are barely worth considering because of disappointing specs and high prices. I really liked this review of 6 Android tablet options for kids (Oct 2012). The author concludes that the Fuhu Nabi 2 and the Kindle Fire are some of the best choices and I totally agree.
The Fuhu Nabi 2 claims to be more powerful than the iPad, quicker than the Kindle Fire and more advanced than the LeapPad, and it is made just for kids. This tablet has a kid-friendly, tough exterior and a solid set of specs. The interface, the combination of entertainment and educational content, and the decent quality hardware make this well worth a look.
Fuhu Nabi 2:
- 7-inch Multi-Touch display with 1024×600 resolution
- NVIDIA Tegra 3, Super 4-Plus-1 Quad Core with 5th Battery Saver Core
- 1GB DDR3 of system memory and 8GB on-board storage memory, expandable via MicroSD, plus 2 GB free Cloud Storage
- 2 MP Front Facing Camera with 720p video
- Mini USB 2.0 port, Mini HDMI port
- 3,850 mAh Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery
- 8.69 inches wide, 6.05 inches high, 1.14 inches deep, weighs 1.31 lbs
- Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
- Built-in Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth 3.0
- App Zone 2.0 offers over 500 mom-selected, kid-approved apps
The Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD are worth considering, especially with the new Kindle FreeTime service for parental controls. This is an Android tablet that the whole family can enjoy. The Kindle Fire lacks a camera (the HD has one though) and there’s no Google Play, but Amazon offers a huge selection of content and there are little extras like cloud storage. It is also lightweight and Amazon claims it’s tough enough to let your kids play with, but some kind of bumper or case would definitely be a good idea.
Kindle Fire HD:
- 1280×800 HD display with polarizing filter and anti-glare technology for rich color and deep contrast from any viewing angle
- Exclusive Dolby audio and dual-driver stereo speakers for immersive, virtual surround sound
- World’s first tablet with dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi for 40% faster downloads and streaming (compared to iPad 3)
- High performance 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor with Imagination PowerVR 3D graphics core for fast and fluid performance
- Over 22 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, and popular apps and games such as Facebook, Netflix, Twitter, HBO GO, Pandora, and Angry Birds Space
- Integrated support for Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! and more, as well as Exchange calendar, contacts, and email
- Front-facing HD camera for taking photos or making video calls using Skype, Facebook, or other apps
- Free unlimited cloud storage for all your Amazon content
- Kindle FreeTime – a free, personalized tablet experience just for kids on the Kindle Fire HD. Set daily screen limits, and give access to appropriate content for each child
- Prime Instant Video – unlimited, instant streaming of thousands of popular movies and TV shows
- Kindle Owners’ Lending Library – Kindle owners can choose from more than 180,000 books to borrow for free with no due dates, including over 100 current and former New York Times best sellers
If you want something designed specifically for kids and you have around $200 to spend, then pick up the Fuhu Nabi 2. It combines the best blend of kid-friendly features, usability, and polish.
If you want something for you and the kids, then the ad-supported Kindle Fire is worth a look.
Do you think there is a better kid-friendly Android tablet worth considering?
Fuhu Nabi 2 on Amazon $199.99
Kindle Fire w/ Special Offers $159.00
Kindle Fire HD w/ Special Offers $199.00
Check out all of these Kindle Fire accessories for Kids!
- Fuhu Nabi 2 at Walmart $129.00! (Door Crasher)
- Fuhu Nabi 2 at Best Buy $169.99 (Door Crasher)
- Kindle Fire HD w/ $30 Best Buy Gift Card at Best Buy $199.99 (Door Crasher)
- Kindle Fire w/ $30 Best Buy Gift Card at Best Buy $159.99 (Door Crasher)
- Kindle Fire HD w/ $30 coupon at Radio Shack $199.99
- Kindle Fire w/ $20 Easy Rebate at Staples $159.00
- Kindle Fire HD w/ $20 Easy Rebate at Staples $199.00
- Kindle Fire w/ $25 Visa Gift Card at Office Depot $159.99
- Kindle Fire HD w/ $25 OfficeMax Gift Card at OfficeMax $199.00 (Door Crasher)