3 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (makes it less grainy than regular whole wheat flour, but I just use white)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cloves (I double)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I double)
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger (I double)
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups solid pack pumpkin (I used fresh pumpkin, not canned)
½ cup oil
½ cup applesauce
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350, and grease 2 loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Sift. Set aside.
- In another bowl (the electric mixer works well for this) mix pumpkin, oil, applesauce, sugar, and eggs. Mix until well blended.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Stir in walnuts and raisins by hand.
- Divide batter evenly between two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely.
I got this recipe from a friend. I love to bring it to Thanksgiving! We just slice it up, and serve it next to the rolls The only bad thing about this bread is that there are never any leftovers!Pin It